Monday 17 August 2009

It's on the TELEVISION.

Couple of experiences recently with TV commercials...

“Choose a different ending” was the Met’s anti knife crime advert campaign aimed at 13 to 15-year-olds. Through a series of interactive short films, the campaign asked viewers to make decisions in relation to various scenarios relating to knife crime. These were presented on television as bookends during your average 3 min advertising segment. I'm sure you remember the ones, a POV camera followed a jacketed yoof type as he was shouted at by a bunch of other yoofs, goes home, gets a knife and prepares to get shivvy with it. The ads would cut away pretty suddenly, meaning they kind of ran into what ever the next adverts were, confusing everybody. Especially the wonderful day when I saw “Choose a different ending” cut directly to a Robert Dyas advert, which opened with a Robert Dyas storefront. Amazing. “Choose a different ending” - consider buying your knives from quality high-street kitchenware emporiums. Those knives cut deep, kids.

Despite parking myself in front of the TV with my camera for literally days, desperate to see this amazing piece of TV blunder-ation again, it has remained elusive. I can't explain how amazing it was. I had to actually stand up, point at the Tv and look around saying "Oh! Oh my..! Did you? Did that?", despite knowing I was the only one home. Now that's how one should react to a advert.

Here's how one should not react to an advert Coca-Cola - by blinking (a bit), shrugging, and muttering "Welcome aboard the hipster train. Losers" Sorry, C-dubs, Calvin Harris weak-ass summer song, weird puppety beasties, organs, shiny happy people: I don't buy it, or your sugar-water.


No comments: